Club member, judge and past chairman of DCAA Phil Herrett has passed away. He is remembered as an enthusiastic ambassador for archery as a whole and for Derbyshire Archery in particular. Any and every archer across the county will have a story wherein Phil was involved; jokes, food, the ‘opposition’ are just a few of the topics that might have filled the time while walking from shooting line to targets and back again.
Phil was a good humoured friendly man who always seemed to have time for others – unless they didn’t do as he said on the ‘line’ of course! He will be missed not only by his fellow club members and friends but also by fellow archers across the county.
This is my favourite archery related photograph of Phil – his arm around Derek Woodhouse. It says it all really.
Entry for the Derbyshire indoor championship is out. The shoot will be hosted by Derwent bowmen on the 5th and 6th March 2016. This will be the first recorded status shoot hosted by the club and spaces will be limited so get your entries in early!
Entry form and details about the tournament are attached below:
Every January ArcheryGB runs a Portsmouth contest. Anyone can enter – it’s really easy:
- The format is the same as last year. We want as many archers as possible submitting their best score for a Portsmouth round shot during the month of January. Archers can shoot as many times as they like – just submit their best scores for each bow type they shoot.
- There is a folder on the noticeboard to collect your scores. Please complete and sign your score and make sure it is in the folder by the end of January.
- Section winners get small trophies!
- There are no separate categories for juniors, as that is the realm of their “November Challenge”, but they can indicate their age, simply to rub it in how well they shoot compared with adults.
- ArcheryGB are hoping for over 2000 entries – they didn’t quite make it last year, so please help them out by shooting a round.
More details can be found below.
Derwent have held a really successful junior competition in October 2015.
Making good use of the club’s new indoor shooting range club coach Simon Holmes organised a five counties tournament that saw junior archers from Northampton, Lincolnshire, Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire and Derbyshire turn up to shoot.
The round was a WR status 18m plus head to head. “All of the archers seemed to have had fun and a lot of them gained the new experience of shooting their first ‘head to head'” said coach Simon Holmes. His thanks also went to the many helpers who managed to ensure that the day ran smoothly from start to finish.
We are sure this will be the first of many such successful shoots designed to bring young archers together in the spirit of healthy competition.
Congratulations to all those who graduated from the beginners course this autumn.
What a great group of beginners and what fantastic weather we had for the whole four week course.
Looking forward to seeing you all again with your own bows, shooting the centre our of those golds!
Many congratulations go to Eva H-H as she was awarded runner-up in the Derbyshire Dales Young Sportswoman of the Year tonight at Matlock FC sports club. Eva managed to come second even though her name was put forward just a week before the event took place.
This year Eva was the the youngest ever finalist in the Ladies National Series Finals at Wollaton Hall.
Photo by David Randall